Smartmontools for Windows package
Download latest stable version v6.4-3
Latest update: 19 July 2015
Documentation: See included readme files or github
Source code on github
Smartmontools-win is an alternative installation package for the excellent smartmontools by Bruce Allen and Christian Franke that adds missing functionnality of the windows package like:
- Unattended installation for mass deployment via GPO / scripts
- Automatic service installation
- Test schedule creation
- Graphical user interface for manual installation
- Out of the box email and local warning messages support
SMART technology helps preventing data loss by monitoring your hard drives and predicting failures.
Tightly integrated into unix systems via smartmontools, it also exists for Windows systems, often already integrated into modern RAID controller frameworks, or available with free / paid diagnostic tools.
I wrote this tool primary because of my work as IT staff, wanting to monitor user computers that don't come with SMART alert software like servers do.
It's daily usable. Currently, it works for myself, my company, and a lot of companies i'm working for.
Version number scheme follows upstream version, with the first part being the upstream version, and the latter part being the package version.
Although i don't provide commercial support, feel free to send me a mail if you encounter any bugs for limited support.
When launched without any command line arguments, it will show a simple GUI to configure SMART and alert options. Default options usually do fine. When launched with the right arguments, a full unattended setup is performed. A basic install script would look like this:
The last argument does not use the same switch format because it's used directly by the installer core (Inno Setup), all other switches are used by the installer script. A full list of command line switches can be found in the README.TXT file that comes with the installer.
Microsoft smartscreen may filter the smartmontools-win executable. Please click on "More info" and then on "Run anyway" to allow it's execution.
If you launch this executable with Avast sandbox enabled, you might get an error message until you chose 'continue execution' on Avast's sandbox message.
This project is fully GPLv2, based on well known opensource projects, including the following:
- Smartmontools by Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, Gabriele Pohl, Alex Samorukov, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
- Inno Setup by Jordan Russel, http://www.jrsoftware.org
- Sendemail by Brandon Zehm, http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail
- Mailsend by Muhammad Muquit, http://www.muquit.com
- Gzip by Free Software Foundation, Inc. Copyright (C) 1992, 1993 Jean-loup Gailly, http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
- Base64 by Matthias Gärtner, http://www.rtner.de/software/base64.html
This project is translated in English, French and German, if you wish to help translating, please send me an email.